Friday, December 9, 2011

From the vaults. Supergirl #35

I love this page, it took me almost two days to complete.


So I'll cop to it, I was totally trying to channel the Krypton scenes from Superman the movie and the Power drain chamber from Superman 2. Which is hard. I would do it again for War of the Supermen #1 but at this time I hadn't quite figured out how to drawn the floor in perspective.

 I really wanted to get the acting just right with these pages, the sense of pain from Kara, the sense of caring, particularly with Alura since it would be contradicted by the hard emotional shell she tries to hide behind after Zor-El's death next issue.


I really over think these things occasionally but you might notice in panel 3, I gave the Kryptonians this sort of, sideways thumbs up salute.

I based my Zor-El on Scott Bakula. I always thought he had a kind fatherly face.

  Again with this scene I was not only trying to show a progression of age, but also mimic stylistically Gary Franks' work in Action Comics and Pete Wood's designs for Kandor.

Thumbnails from issue #35

2 comments:

  1. I'm in love from your work... From a venezuelan fan... Andrea Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to more of the retrospective. I always appreciate a look behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
One of the most popular and prolific pencillers in the comic book industry, Jamal Igle is an award winning artist and writer. Best known for his run on Supergirl with writer Sterling Gates, Jamal has been a professional jack of all trades for nearly 20 years, drawing every title from Action Comics to Zatanna for DC Comics. A former comics retailer, Editor for several small press companies including TV Comics, Airwave Comics and Destination Entertainment. Former Junior Art Director and Marketing rep in the Advertising and publishing arenas. Jamal's clients include Marvel Comics, image Comics, Dark Angel productions/ Simmons and Company, Devil's Due Studios, Crusade Entertainment, Walt Disney inc., Sony Television, CBS Television and Scholastic Entertainment. Jamal has also worked as a conceptional artist for the Toy and gaming industries as well as film and television. Jamal is married to his beautiful, and much smarter wife Karine.They're also the proud parents of an extremely cute child named Catherine and a Cat named Loustique